Sunday, June 15, 2008

Actual trip report stuff.

I left Dallas on Friday morning sorta early. My brother Rick and his hubby Gary saw me off kinda. Coffee and well wishes lasted lots of miles.

Since I was headed west and hadn't seen my bud Brad, I took the offramp to his office and we did a little brekkies at Whataburger. It was good seeing him. I genuinely hope he continues to spread his contagious good nature around. If you Wiki "nice guy", Brad's picture appears.

In fact, here's his Wiki pic standing next to some Kaczynski looking fool.



And then...... and then...... west Texas. The thrill, the distance, the dullness, the heat. On and on into Las Cruces, New Mexico. Very late arrival. Very early start in the morning.

Just west of Ft. Worth, TX. The beginning of a LONG day.


The middle of the long day.


Can you see the excitement in my eyes?


Finally some visible geology on I-10 south of the New Mexico border.


Still an hour and a half from El Paso, TX.


Las Cruces, New Mexico to Phoenix, Arizona. Jeepers was it HOT. I left Las Cruces pretty early in the morning and thought it was wonderful when the temps were at 86F. Speed and temps came close to matching for a while.

My cruise control was set a little faster than his.


Perspective of the west. How did the settlers see this? No roads, no water, just vast expanses. Day after day after day after day after day........


I've been told the average wagon train could do 20 miles a day. I hurtle along at almost 40 times their speed and complain. There are many different perspectives. Look into the future in one pic. Look into the past in another. Where am I besides here?



Phoenix bound.....

If you've ever been west, you know this. It's been an icon for more than 50 years.



Stunning Yucca plant at the side of the highway. Anyone have a guess how old something this tall must be? Would a century be out of place?


Rocks. Lotsa rocks.


No comments: