Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Some cleanup and perspective

First, let's get the trip's only problem out of the way. If you know me, you'll understand how difficult this is for me to admit. I had a failure of a system I installed. This is a bad bad bad thing in my book. Bad.

The issue was/is that the cruise control and GPS circuit tended to die at any ambient temperature over 96 degrees. Hard to trace on the road, so I just didn't worry about it much. Every time it happened, I just operated the bike in analog mode instead of 'set and forget' digital mode. In other words, I had to ride the motorcycle sometimes instead of pushing the buttons and sitting there for the ride.

Maybe I oversimplify. Hopefully most motorcyclists will understand.

Regardless, this created a seperate minor issue. The GPS trip data is wrong. When the GPS shuts off at point A, and resumes some hours later at point B, it extrapolates a straight line distance that eliminates the curves and roadway that got you there. I'm saying LOTS of mileage was left out, so I did it the old fashioned analog way. I looked at some of those gratuitous data shots I took and did simple math. The actual trip, by the FJR's odometer, was just 1.5 miles short of 5000. Yeah, 4998.5. I'm calling it 5K total. Whatever, it's just a number but 5K is just easier to explain when I'm telling stories.

I gotta rewire the source of that circuit.

OK, now here's the story of Simon and Lisa from 2ridetheworld.com.

On Thursday, June 5th, 2008, I looked into my crystal ball (the internet) and made a bad decision. I thought it would warm up. So I removed the thermal liner from my suit and headed south toward my presumed sunshine and 80F temperatures.

Never happened. So early in the afternoon, about 2pm, I realized I probably shouldn't continue to lose body heat for much longer. I found a hotel, a cheap joint. They wouldn't rent me a place for just 2 hours, so I rented the room until the next morning for $75. The money wouldn't kill me. The heat loss could.

My intention was to insert my liner, put on a set of thermies, and reheat the extremities. Maybe clean up a little bit. So I did. I got everything done in just about an hour and a half then returned to the bike to reload and move along. 75 bucks just saved my brisket and I was ready for the next step down the road.

So I went out the door with my load(s) of tikitaki and started to strap down. From the adjacent hotel, I heard a pair of DP bikes start and make the the short run between the parking lots.

A big BMW DP roared up toward me. It was obvious this thing had been everywhere. While still rolling, the rider opened his flip-face helmet and asked "'scuse me mate, but what's the rate here?"

Opportunity knocked for both of us. I explained what I'd just done with the hotel room. I explained they could have my room until morning for $50 cash. He was happy. I was happy. It was wierd. Anyway, we talked a bit. They did a little video. (No, it's not on the site. Not important.) They were doing a midway stop while en-route to a presentation they were giving in Denver. Lisa was tired, having recently had some core surgery. She's a tough and dedicated lady, believe me.

Simon and Lisa have been on the road on two wheels for the last 5.5 years. http://www.2ridetheworld.com/

Things like this only happen to motorcyclists. Maybe it's because motorcyclists are the only ones who do it.

No comments: